Thursday, November 24, 2005

Life's too short...

There’s one thing that I’m sure of and that is that life is too short. That’s why I started my “Too Short” list which is now way “too long” to print in its entirety. It’s not a very formal list but it works for me.

So here’s just a few:

Too short to make yourself nuts over the things you can’t control.

Too short not to take risks.

Too short so get to know and help your neighbor.

Too short so stand up and make a difference.

Too short so why wage war?

Too short not to have a best friend and a true love.

Too short so make a person laugh or smile.

Too short not to say thank you.

Like I said those are just a few of my “Too Shorts”.

Many people reflect on what they are thankful for on this day. I ask all of you to look around this Thanksgiving Day and think of a few “Too Shorts” to add to this list or create your own.

You may be surprised by what you write. I'll bet most of your "Too Shorts" are things you're thankful for.

I live my life by my code of “Too Shorts” and here’s the reason why I came up with my too short list, Jim Valvano.

Jim Valvano, The North Carolina State Basketball coach who passed away from cancer in 1993, was one of the most inspirational human beings on this planet. (ESPN and Jim Valvano founded The “V” Foundation for cancer research in 1993 before he passed away.)

His life was way too short.

He had a couple of quotes that I will never forget.

“There are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.”

"How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal, and you have to be willing to work for it."

I don’t know if the meaning of life could be summed up better than in those two quotes.

So on this Thanksgiving Day I first want to say “thank you” to all of my family, friends, fellow bloggers and my readers, you are my inspiration.

And remember, life is “too short” so laugh, think and cry today.

It’s also too short not to have seconds (or thirds) of turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy……

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I’ll write funny tomorrow.